Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 284 - Getting There

I've been hearing more and more lately things like "I don't know how you do it", "You make it look easy", and "Whenever I start to complain about my husband being gone, I think of you and get over it."

It's kind of nice to know people are thinking about our family living through this deployment. I'd like to think people appreciate Chris for the whole defending-our-country thing, but I really didn't realize people appreciate me too.

And while people are sympathetic to us and our situation, I look to other people's lives and feel sympathetic towards them. It can always be worse. There are many positives for us living like this. And to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel makes it that much easier.

I've been day dreaming lately about our reunion. The last one was filled with a lot of fanfare. We (just a year-old Luke and I back then) waited outside on a cold night with a handmade sign for the charter buses to arrive from the airport. The guys were still in their uniforms. It took forever for Chris to find me with all of the people in the crowd. But we found each other...(and nine months to the day later we brought Maria home from the hospital.)

I imagine this homecoming will be much different. I think we will be at the airport waiting for him. I think he will look like a civilian and no one around us will know what we had to endure for the last 14 months. And I know there will be a lot of hugs, lots of hugs...(but no more babies!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment