Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 115 - Strawberry Fields

Today I braved the strawberry patch with the kids. It was a scene from the beginning...no one wanted to be there except me. But nothing says summer like fresh picked strawberries. So everyone, and I mean everyone, suffered through it.

I'll skip all of the fun details of each child's unwillingness to pick, or the baby's constant fussing to get out of her stroller.


But we somehow managed to pick 5 1/2 pounds ($6 worth!).


After dinner, I made strawberry shortcake. I love making the "real" shortcake out of Jiffy Mix. I'm not a big fan of the angel food cake type.

2 cups Jiffy Mix
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbs. melted shortening
3 Tbs. sugar

Roll it out to 1/2 thick. Cut out circles. (I used a drinking glass.) Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450 degrees.


After they bake, you pile on the strawberries and whipped cream. I think it is my favorite summertime dessert!


Come back tomorrow to see how the making of our freezer jam goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment